Oh my god, you guys. The last time I bawled was when my ex-boyfriend and I broke up after a 5 year long relationship back in September. Who would have thought I would do it again for a reason other than death or a break up?
I certainly didn’t.
Man, I cried like a baby last night when news was out that Griffey Jr announced his retirement effective immediately.
Yes, everyone, Junior is now gone.
On my other site I had to be a little more formal but gosh…here I can let it all out. I REALLY need a hug, people!
It broke my heart to hear that he was done after 22 seasons and 630 home runs. Sure, it was time, sure he kind of sucked this season and sure we were trying to be prepared for his retirement at the END of the season.
It came too soon, my heart couldn’t take it.
Seattle’s number 1 trending topic last night on Twitter was #thanksjunior and everyone submitted their memories of Griffey. That also, made me cry.
As if I wasn’t crying enough, Ichiro made it even harder for me to stop.
The Mariners and the Twins were into the 10th inning just 1-1 with men on 1st and 2nd with 2 outs.
Ichiro fouled of 1…2….3….6…9…10 pitches until BAM, single up center field!!
Have I EVER seen Ichiro that jubilant since Japan’s WBC win? No!
Click here to see him jumping onto a team mate in joy!
Anyways, I would like to say thank you to Junior. Thanks for all the outstanding catches. Thanks for the breath-taking homeruns. Thanks for the million smiles you put on fans all over the world; not just in Seattle. Thanks for being a historical icon.
Thanks for playing the game the right away.
This is news for my fellow female fans or for male fans that want a reason to impress their ladies in their lives!
PINK has gone nationwide with their collegiate collection and it was only a matter of time that they were going to team up with a professional athletic organization. Similar to PINK’s collegiate collection, 11 MLB clubs will have t-shirts, hoodies, sweatpants, even hats and jerseys ranging from $19.99 to $58.00.
What better sport to do that with than baseball?
Can I just say that I am beyond ecstatic about this? I have been waiting for this day to come and was hoping it would be before I got too old to wear PINK products.
Now all you Yankees, Red Sox, Cardinals, Twins, Cubs and Angels fans can be confident that you’ll be able to have your hands on some adorable PINK/MLB goodies starting this Tuesday.
As for myself and the rest of the baseball organizations…well, let’s just hope, pray and cross our fingers (and our toes!) that our teams are the remaining 5 teams that will be participating in MLB’s attempt to increase the female fan base.
Needless to say, I’m going to be absolutely devastated if the Pacific Northwest doesn’t get the Mariners line in our stores tomorrow.
Come on, now. I didn’t even get to buy the collegiate collection since I wasn’t a Husky, Cougar, Beaver or a Duck.
At least let me wear the adorable PINK clothing in navy, green, M’s logo, crystals and glitter?
Pretty please? ♥
[Tshirt photo courtsey of USA Today]
On a side note….gosh, I have been horrible with updating this blog. I can’t believe I went two months without anything! Believe me, I thought about blogging a lot more often that I actually did this off-season. This post and the gorgeous weather is a good sign though, baseball season is back sooooooooooon!
It’s hard to sit with a cup of coffee, maybe a cookie and find time to write a new entry when your life is chaotic. I won’t bore you with my latest antics but we’ll leave it at this; my life has been crazy.
Even that sounds like an understatement.
Over here in the
rainy beautiful Emerald City, more specifically at 1st Ave and Edgar Martinez Dr, lots have been happening. The Mariners organization has been busy. Busy dealing with arbitrations, busy signing new and old players, busy inviting players to Spring Training, busy having photo shoots with new players, busy mourning the departure of Branyan and Johjima….
….ok the last one is just me.
Like I said on my Twitter, I have waited too long to update my blog that I have no idea where to start. I’m going to machine-gun my way through some Mariners updates but please note that they are in no particular order.
1. Felix Hernandez is staying! For FIVE more years! I expected 2 or 3, but 5? I’m beyond ecstatic and I’m sure a lot of other Mariners fans are too. The exact number for Felix’s raise is not disclosed, but I’m guessing it’ll be a chunky amount compared to his 3.8 million salary last season! When you’re a Cy Younger runner-up, you deserve it.
Wow, I’m pretty confident when I say we have the most vicious 1-2 punch for our starting rotation in the entire Major Leagues. Sorry Angels, we’ll be dethroning you this season.
2. Mariners closer David Aardsma and relief pitcher Derek Lowe signed a one-year extension and both a raise in their salaries. They certainly both deserved the raise after their outstanding (especially Aardsma) performances in the ’09 season. Aardsma was 38 for 42 save opportunities, and Lowe was one of the only consistently dependable RPs for us last season.
3. Say hello to our new 1st baseman Casey Kotchman from the Red Sox. Please don’t ask me how I feel about this or I’ll start crying. I would like to ask our GM one question; why wasn’t Branyan a good candidate? Sure, he was injured but he did his job as the team slugger hitting 31 HRs and manned 1st base extremely well. Ok fine, I guess the M’s offered him a 1 year deal and he rejected it. Let me pout for a few seconds.
Ok I’m done. As a faithful Mariners fan, I should welcome Casey Kotchman with a smiling face and open arms. Casey, I wish you success in our amazing team but please don’t do anything that’ll make me regret the smiling face and open arms. Mmmkay?
Russell, I will miss you dearly and I wish you the best. I highly doubt that anyone in our lineup (so far) is going to blast 31 homeruns like you did last season. What are we going to do without a slugger like you? Eeep!
4. The Mariners welcome Brandon League as a result of a trade with Brandon Morrow. I don’t have much to say about this trade because it kind of feels like an even exchange. Both their ERA’s are kind of high, both had an unstable season. I do like his glasses though.
There you go, a quick update of what the
2010 AL West Champions Mariners have been up to. :] I can’t believe Spring Training is right around the corner; it feels like it’s been ages since I’ve watched baseball. Now that I’m back in the Pacific Northwest, I plan on going to a ridiculous amount of Mariners game this season. Besides, I have my game shirt ready and everything:
It was a gift from Santa! ♥
Since I’ve been a lot more nice than naughty this whole year, here’s a list of everything I want.
First of all, it’s pretty obvious but I would absolutely adore for the Mariners to at least be crowned AL West Champions but why stop there, right?
I want the Mariners to win the WORLD SERIES.
Yes, I said it.
I want the Mariners to win their first World Series Championship ever. Seriously though, with Ichiro, Felix, Wilson and our newest additions Figgins and Lee?
Come on, now. This would be the year to win it, if ever!
Santa, the Mariners obviously have what it takes, so will you please supply them with that extra push?
I also would love love looooove this pictured player to join the Mariners.
Are the chances slim?
………………..yes, but that’s why I’m asking you, Santa!
How perfect would he be in our very empty left field?
Perfect would be an understatement. If we can get Bay in the Mariners, pssshh, I probably don’t even have to ask Santa for a World Series championship!
On a side note, isn’t this picture funny? A major leaguer life guard? Sounds good to me ♥
For any Mariner.
Must I elaborate?
But….my biggest and most important delivery I need from you, Santa, is for you to enlarge your sleigh, recruit some more reindeers, pile all the U.S soldiers that are overseas and bring them back home safe and sound.
That may take a few trips but I hear you deliver presents all across the world overnight. :]
Hopefully that’s not too much to ask…
….what? I’ve been naughty this year?
How dare I get numb to the notion of a cold, baseball-less season?
I have such amazing news about the Mariners….
….which I’m sure everybody and their brothers know about already but what the hey.
No exciting build-ups, no beating around the bush….
MARINERS SIGNED CLIFF LEE!
Can I just say, WOW? I knew we had plenty of money this off-season to acquire some great players but Cliff Lee? I’m almost overwhelmed by the news. Lee rocked the World Series beating the Yankees not only once, but twice, and not only that, but Lee has a 5-1 3.49 ERA at Safeco Field! This Cy Young winning southpaw with a Cy Young contender (Felix, of course), both backed up by one of the league’s best defense, we are going to have a vicious starting rotation.
Watch out AL West, we’re gonna take all of you down.
Oh and to put the cherry on top of this wonderful Mariners sundae, we acquired Chone Figgins (he’ll be sporting a No.9 jersey) last week from the Angels. He is the guy I always get nervous about when we play the Angels…gosh, not having to worry about him is going to be awesome. Figgins signed a four year, $36 million deal with a vesting option for 2014. Figgins was a third baseman for the Angels which brings up the question as to where he’ll be defending next season if Beltre chooses to stay. Personally, I think he would own second base but I would hate to have to see Lopez benched for that. As far as I’m concerned, the only spot available right now is left field and with his third baseman arm, I figure he would excel. With his above-average batting and last year’s career high runs and doubles, I have no doubt he’ll be sending Ichiro home more often than not.
Our starting lineup will consist of Ichiro batting first (duh), Figgins, Lopez/Gutierrez, Branyan (still crossing my fingers for that one)….
…and of course our deathly pitching rotation.
Fellow Mariners fans, my baseball itch is worsening as we speak! The 2010 season is going to be…enthralling, captivating, engrossing, and riveting; I can hardly wait!
Now for all non-Mariners fans, you should probably be afraid.
Very much afraid.
I end with an evil laugh.
As little as there is to write about Mariners baseball lately, I’ve been having blogging withdrawals along with my obvious baseball itch.
Let me start with what I do have of Mariners updates:
1. Mariners offered arbitration to Adrian Beltre (3B). I’m not surprised and I’m sure most Mariners fans expected this. However, the chances of Beltre returning are slim; apparently the Phillies and Red Sox are interested in offering Beltre a multi-year contract. You know what? I think I’m going to be ok with it.
2. Mariners did not offer arbitration to Erik Bedard (SP). Am I surprised? Not really. His injuries every other game was just tiring. I don’t blame the Mariners at all for not inviting him back.
On top of the fact that the Mariners really haven’t had much going on these days, I miss writing…so I decided to start an Off-Season Funblog! I plan on writing about random things that you just might enjoy reading about :]
Today I would like to introduce you to my fairly new friend I live with.
This is Kenji. Yes, he’s a parakeet. He’s roughly 12 weeks old and he’s been with me for about 2 weeks.
Some of you may be wondering…did I name him after the now-departed catcher Kenji Johjima?
Yes I did.
Call me crazy, it’s ok, it wouldn’t be the first time.
He still can’t fly but I see him practicing all the time; it’s pretty comical.
As some of you may know, all I’ve been doing is driving up and down Interstate 5 from Seattle to Portland and vice versa for work. Although Kenji has his huge bird-condo that he lives in, he travels with me in his miniature cage. It’s been pretty fun having him around so far! :]
Other than work, spending time with family and friends, I have yet to find a remedy for my stinkin’ baseball itch. As depressing as this sounds, I suppose I’m finally getting used to the fact that baseball isn’t happening. It’s quite the tragedy but at least I know I’m not the only person that’s going through this!
Well, hope everyone enjoyed my first Funblog and is finding better things to do with their time than sulking over this cold, cold, very, very long winter without baseball. Sob!
Everyday I think, ‘I must blog today!’…but of course don’t due to the fact that I’m working late or hanging out with friends or watching TV….pretty much everything but.
However, with an eggnog latte in one hand, I’ve finally sat my butt down tonight to update everyone on what’s going on here in the already rainy Emerald City.
Seriously though, my eggnog latte consumption these past few weeks have been beyond ridiculous.
You’re welcome, Starbucks!
Back to the point. Points, actually. 5 of them.
1. Ichiro receives his 9th Gold Glove Award. He’s 1 Gold Glove Award away from tying the franchise record which is held by Ken Griffey Jr with 10 Gold Gloves. Not to toot my own Mariners horn but am I surprised about this? Not really. Toot toot! Congratulations anyway, Ichiro! This just adds to how amazing you are!
2. Branyan declines a one year offer from the Mariners. Personally, I’m actually pretty depressed about this. If you’ve read my previous entries, you know I am a huge fan of Russell. I’m crossing my fingers no other team offers him a 2+ year deal or else he’s leaving the Mariners! Am I truly this selfish? Yes I am. Sorry, Russell.
3. Griffey returns for one more year. As a Mariners fan, I am ecstatic that he’s returning for the 2010 season. As a practical baseball fan, I feel like maybe it’s a gamble. Terms of the deal wasn’t disclosed but could the salary have been used more wisely towards someone else? Maybe. Please though, don’t get me wrong. I think Jr truly brings the team together and has a great impact on the organization; I do ♥ him!
4. Ichiro receives his third Silver Slugger Award. Just like his 200+ hits, it seems like the awards keep coming too! For those that are not familiar, this award goes to the best offensive players voted on by MLB managers and coaches. Again, am I surprised? Well, if I’m talking about how I’m surprised he doesn’t have more than three, then yes, I’m surprised. Really? He only has 3? Hmm.
5. Jack Wilson signs a two-year deal with the Mariners. Woohoo! I’m very excited about this although I knew the Mariners didn’t acquire him just for the last few months of the ’09 season. Matt, aren’t you excited? You can keep wearing your M’s jacket around with pride :] What I was unaware of was that Wilson had won the Fielding Bible Award as best fielding shortstop this past season. I’m definitely not surprised but I feel horrible as a self-proclaimed baseball fanatic that I didn’t know about this “Fielding Bible Award“. Is that bad?
Well, I’m beyond pleased with the progress the Mariners are making already and definitely excited for some more to come!
I don’t think I congratulated the Yankees for winning the World Series this year. I know, really belated but congratulations anyway! Congratulations to the Phillies too, Both teams made the WS so fun to watch ♥
Does someone have any advice or an anti-itch product for my baseball itch? :]
For godssake, baseball season ended like five seconds ago and I’m already having withdrawals. Perhaps there are therapists out there for off-season baseball withdrawals? Maybe that’s my calling; getting a PhD specializing in Off-Season Baseball Withdrawal Therapy. Sounds amazing already.
I don’t watch football (more like I don’t understand football) so I suppose I’ll have to settle for the NBA. I generally only watch the 4th quarter of an NBA game but I suppose I really should start supporting my boys. Much love to the Portland Blazers ♥
I hope all you Yankees fans are still enjoying the delicious after-taste of the WS Championship and for all other fans, I hope your teams are conjuring up something good for 2010. I’ll be back soon for more Post Season M’s updates!